Jacqie's Reviews > A Killing in the Hills

A Killing in the Hills by Julia Keller

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: didnt-finish

The mountain small town setting and drug related mystery reminded me a bit of Winter's Bone, but this ain't no Winter's Bone. This is a much more standard mystery format with a DA single mom main character as mystery solver. The teenage girl didn't feel especially authentic, although maybe it's just been too long since I was a teenage girl. There are many descriptions of piggy eyes, and honestly the first scene grossed me out a bit with its description of old-man-rotting-lettuce-colored teeth. It felt like the book was trying to be edgy, but mostly ended up being gross. The writing is workmanlike instead of poetic.

I think part of why Winter's Bone succeeded is that it was a mystery to be solved from the inside of the drug world. The system was not to be trusted or confided in- Ree had to figure everything out by herself, and she was a compelling, lonely, mythic character.

I think I might have been more interested in the book if there wasn't that obvious frame of reference to a book I preferred. I think this writer could use more practice, but don't hold that against her. Just not for me right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Killing in the Hills.