Stacy's Reviews > The Grimm Legacy

Jul 26, 12

did not like it
bookshelves: fluff-reading
Read in July, 2012, read count: 1

There is something rather grand about finding a new, good book to read. And it is always disappointing to discover that the new, good book isn't all that good. "The Grimm Legacy", by Polly Shulman, was wonderfully writen, for the most part. The dialogue was weak in a few areas, and the plot was too slow in some spots and too fast in others, but these issues were easily forgotten as I continued reading. But, as is inevitable in "modern" teen lit, the author decided that her charming story couldn't go on without at least one reference to sex. Or two.
Are teenagers really that low? Can we truly not read anything without needing a titillating reference to "birds and bees"? Are we as brainless as that? Why can we not enjoy a beautifully crafted, innocent, exciting story without some sort of "adult" theme dragged in unnecessarily? We deserve more credit.
I would have sincerely enjoyed this book if the author had not decided randomly shock her audience with risque images. The charm of her modern fairy tale quickly spun into yet another steamy teen romance. I must admit, I am quite frustrated with the whole Young Adult genre in general; having condescending adults shove tripe down my throat does not appeal to me in the least.
Would I write this book off as a failure? No. The author truly has talent, and her story, in general, was enjoyable. Unfortunately, she saw fit to include two or three scenes which completely drew attention away from the plot and toward a relationship that was more infatuation than true romance. It would have merited a four or five-star rating from me if not for this tiresome, cliche plot device being yet again dredged up by Shulman.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grimm Legacy.

Mikki I totally understand your point of view, but if you don't like the romance and the "stupid adults" "shoved down your throat" then don't read youn adult books. It seems like maybe you are looking for children's books.