Marsha's Reviews > Redemption

Jul 27, 12

Recommended for: Young Adults
Read from July 26 to 27, 2012, read count: Once

(2.5 Stars) This arc was provided to me by netgalley.com

I truly wanted to love "Redemption;" unfortunately, the plot did not live up to its' potential. Aude Vanier is a 16 year old teenage girl living in Montreal with her flighty mother. While walking in the city to meet up with some friends and fellow band mates, Aude is attacked by what seems to be a stone monster. In her head she begins hearing drums and chanting. The monster runs away as she feels a slight earthquake tremble. What she does not realize is that her actions reanimated four gargoyles sitting on a boarded up former cathedral.

Guillaume de Rouen is a gargoyle. He and his fellow brethen have awaken from a seventy year sleep. They have noticed the movement and actions of humans over the years but have ceased to be concerned with the day to day human drones. Then, they are awakened by a teenage girl named Aude. They realize they will not exist very long in their weakened state unless they are fed with the essence of a witch. However, how can this happen when all of the bloodlines for the de Rouen witches have died out?

Guillaume is determined to locate Aude and find out more about her. What he discovers is she is part Iroquois Indian and she may be a witch. She is unaware of the existence of gargoyles and witchcraft so she is suspect of what he really wants. Together they will discover that Montreal is doomed to burn if the ancient Iroquois prophecy is activated.

I've always been fascinated by gargoyles and was truly looking forward to reading this book. However, the writing was disjointed and although the plot was complex at times, there was a lack of depth in the writing. My biggest complaint is that gargoyles are traditionally associated with French-European architecture and myths; so, why then mix it with Iroquois folklore? It would have been much more compelling staying true to the original origins. The author did pay tribute to the 'Rouen' area of Europe where it is said to be the origin of the legend. This book just did not have the action, suspense or wow power most successful YA books seem to have. I did not dislike it, I just did not love it. At this point, I am confident I will not be reading any more books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redemption.