Gemma's Reviews > Sweet Enemy

Sweet Enemy by Heather Snow

Jul 26, 2012

Read from August 13 to 15, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I can hardly believe that this is a debut novel! It was so well written. Great characters, vivid history (without taking over the plot), an interesting mystery, and a good balance of romance and suspense. Many authors can't manage that in their 10th novel, let alone their first. I am very impressed.

This novel uses the "big secret" plot (not the "big misunderstanding", which I've come to loathe.) One big difference is that in this book, the heroine is honest with the hero, and confesses the truth to him before she's forced to do so. In many books with the big secret, the secret keeper won't admit the truth until they are forced into a corner. In this story, the heroine realizes that she can't have a true marriage to the hero without being honest with him. So even though he's nowhere near to discovering the truth on his own, she confesses it to him, knowing that she may very well lose him, but unwilling to keep him under false pretenses. That's a refreshing change from the usual way this kind of plot device is handled.

The sexual tension in this novel sizzled, but it wasn't the "I hate you, but you're so hot I can't keep my hands off you," type (I hate that). I also liked that the hero and heroine had more in common than just physical attraction. They had a true meeting of minds. They complemented one other emotionally and intellectually. I also liked that while the heroine was a lady ahead of her time, she wasn't a man-hating ball-buster. I don't mind feminisim in my books, but I don't like being bludgeoned over the head with it, and I don't like man-bashing. Thankfully, that didn't happen here. It was a part of the heroine's character, but it wasn't all of it. She wasn't a shrew or a stereotype.

The hero was your typical wounded one, but he also wasn't a stereotype. Yes, he'd been hurt and was afraid to be vulnerable, but he cared about more than just himself. I felt he was a great match for the heroine.

I give out my 5 star ratings very sparingly, but this book earned it. I will definitely be on the lookout for more books by this author. I recommend this to any lover of historical romance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Enemy.

08/13/2012 page 49
14.0% "She was nothing if not inquisitive. Any good scientist worth her sodium chloride was.

LOL!"