Anna Dourgarian's Reviews > The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jul 26, 12

Read in July, 2012

Reading Sherlock stories in their order of creation is enlightening, especially with Kyle Freeman’s introductory commentary. Rather than merely enjoying each story as an individual for its fun dialogue and plot, you can watch the personality growth of Watson and the writing style shift of Doyle as the adventures of Sherlock progress.

Unfortunately, despite the fun in the science of deductive reasoning and in Sherlock’s pretentious genius, Doyle’s writing lacks energy. It is very steady and without pomp, and it was not until the later adventures of The Naval Treaty and The Hound of Baskervilles that I found myself getting wrapped up in the story.

For those readers who are not in love with the style of nineteenth-century detective novels, and especially for those who are anticipating the equivalent energy levels of recent media adaptations (BBC’s Sherlock (2010), Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes (2009)), I recommend caution. Doyle can be fun and intriguing, but you must be patient and focused.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I.