Teresa's Reviews > Libriomancer

Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines

Aug 09, 12

Read from August 08 to 09, 2012

Finished this mere moments ago. My gut says four stars, my over-analytical writer's perspective is probably around 3.5 (a few small pacing problems in the middle...nothing like TDKR though...).

I came into the book a Smudge fangirl, and nothing changes my opinion on that. Some of my favorite moments are Smudge-related. It's amazing how much personality a character can have--especially without dialogue! (Wall-E and the cockroach, for example.) I enjoyed most of the characters, and I'm grateful that the lead female has a strong character arc (though Jim rarely has problems in that area). I'm not sure about Issac. I liked him fine...maybe I identified with him more strongly than I expected to. Some of the dialogue felt forced, but not enough to dislocate me from the story.

It's a fun, geeky romp that takes a serious turn. There was no whiplash. It was like driving along the interstate and suddenly realizing you'd passed into another state. I easily located the theme of the book (helpful to be able to highlight on an ereader), and I'm impressed. It's thoughtful, and well-executed. The story never loses touch with its inner child--the child that dreams of wielding a light-saber, eating too much candy, and Firefly marathons.

The magic is just pure fun. I'll be re-reading this book in short order. Will definitely be eagerly anticipating book 2!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Libriomancer.

08/08/2012 page 51
13.0% "Thoroughly enjoying this ride. My librarian friends (hint-hint) should really consider this one. ;)"
08/08/2012 page 118
30.0% ""Normal?" she repeated. "Yesterday you fed me cake from Wonderland so we could ride your spider into a magical basement and fight a vampire.""
show 1 hidden update…