Pam's Reviews > Broken Harbour

Broken Harbour by Tana French

Jul 26, 2012

Read from July 26 to August 01, 2012

There are a few authors that I do not even hesitate for one moment to get their latest book. Tana French is one of those authors. With Broken Harbor, as usual she did not disappoint.

The story begins with murder detective, Michael "Scorcher" Kennedy, talking about his recent case.

"Here's what I'm trying to tell you: this case should have gone like clockwork. It should have ended up in the textbooks as a shining example of how to get everything right. By every rule in the book, this should have been the dream case."

And with that, begins a psychological thriller that hooks you from the very beginning, and doesn't let you go until the very end.

When he gets to the murder scene, he finds a husband brutally murdered, two small children also dead, and the only surviving member of the family, the wife, has been taken to the hospital.

Tana French is a master at characterization. You really feel like you know these people. Like you could have conversations with them, like you are there. Their thoughts and actions are so well thought out and developed.

I only highlighted one passage, which shows you how totally engrossed I was in this story. I couldn't not stop reading long enough to highlight!

"Only teenagers think boring is bad. Adults, grown men and women who've been around the block a few times, know that boring is a gift straight from God. Life has more than enough excitement up it's sleeve, ready to hit you with as soon as you're not looking, without you adding to the drama. If Richie didn't know that already, he was about to find out."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbour.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait to get this book. I really enjoyed her last book.

message 2: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam I'm really enjoying it so far!

message 3: by Les (new) - rated it 5 stars

Les So glad to hear it's a winner!! I've loved all of her books. Each one is better than the previous.

Have you read Gone (not Gone Girl) by Mo Hayder? It's reminiscent of Tana French's works. Very, very good.