Douglas Meeks's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Aug 09, 12

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

NOTE : This rating ONLY applies if you have read the novellas since without them you might not even like the book, with them I feel it is 5 Stars.

I finished the Throne of Glass novel today and it was for me the 5 Star novel I had always assumed it would be BUT I read all of the below novellas:

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord
The Assassin and the Desert
The Assassin and the Underworld
The Assassin and the Empire

without the background, knowledge and the world building contained in these novellas your enjoyment of this novel is sure to be muted at best. I expected nothing less than a 5 Star reading experience and was not disappointed with the level of writing in the above novellas and in this novel. People that have not read the 4 novellas really should not review or even read this book because even though it was not marketed that way I can see that you don't have a feel for who the characters are or why they act the way they do because their history and the world building is in those novellas. They should not have put the book out for review (or for reading IMHO) for anyone that has not read them IMHO. The better method would have been to incorporate them in some fashion but too late now.
NOTE: Let me stick one thing in the middle of this review, I hate the love triangle, it might be resolved at some point but I thought it really sucked (now back to our review).
SO, what I am writing really applies to the whole story up until now, Celaena has been through every conceivable emotion and had heartbreaking losses and betrayals, she IS the best assassin in the world and should be living the high life but is living more like a pauper in most of these stories and with the novel it gets better and worse at the same time. She must fight to become the King’s Champion for a King she hates but holds her life in his hands and such is the crux of the story.
While the 2-3 Star reviews have not made me any less enthusiastic about this series, it has made me aware that without the novellas you really don't have a clue as to what got the "assassin" to this point in her life (or why she may still be a bit naive). While I was completely engrossed by this book it HAS made me aware that the marketing for this novel was severely lacking, several reviews have been less than complimentary and the major cause was the lack of information in the novel that was included in the novellas. It becomes obvious to me that the novel as a standalone book was lacking since I found the novellas to be 5 Star reading (well maybe not the first one The Assassin and the Pirate Lord) but they do all the world building AND give you tons of history and insight into who Celaena really was/is. I can't believe she wrote all these 5 Star novellas and then wrote a 3 Star novel but as I see it, that is about all most people can get out of this novel if they have not read the others, it makes this 3 Star standalone novel into a 5 Star work in a series I cannot wait to get my hands on the next installment (assuming there will be another installment). I can overlook a lot of things but at the end if I have been entertained by a good story then I consider it a good book (possibly with flaws but very good never the less) and this story was exceptional if you read it all and not just this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy I definitely agree with everything you have mentioned here. The novellas play a huge part in the world and character building, and it's bad that they haven't marketed that well. As someone that was a reader of Sarah's back on FictionPress, I remember that a lot of the world building was included in each chapter (but has been removed from the actual novel most likely due to space). I feel that that's a little unfortunate. But I can honestly tell the readers that haven't enjoyed the novel that what's to come (or did previously) will be a very exciting read, and that they shouldn't give up on this author so quickly.

Douglas Meeks I feel it is sad because many people bought the book that had not read the novellas and felt cheated because the things that were promised in the PR for the book are not there for many readers who do not have the background. They should put them all together as a prequel and market them to be read first. I guess it is too late for a lot of that now but it would have helped a lot of people who did not enjoy the book as much as those of us who have read them all.

Dr susan Okay, you convinced me! I am glad I checked your review before starting Throne. I will read the novellas first :)

Douglas Meeks Dr susan wrote: "Okay, you convinced me! I am glad I checked your review before starting Throne. I will read the novellas first :)"

Believe it or not several people got mad at me when I tried to tell them they needed to read them first. Usually it was in response to a poor review because you never get all the background of how she got there and why she it like she is, with all the novellas and the novel in order it is a good story.