Harkiran's Reviews > George's Marvellous Medicine

George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

U_50x66
Jul 26, 12

George is left at home alone with his grandmother. He had been left a task from his mother to give his grandmother's medication. George dislikes his grandma, and there are many colourful adjectives within the text that Dahl uses to describe her. Therefore George begins to create his own medicine to give to his grandmother, he cooks it up using all measures of ingredients around his farm and his house and then ...read the book to find out what happens.

This text was one of the first texts that I completed reading as a young girl and enjoyed immensely. I actually had a go at making my own medicine to my mums horror and i'm sure she is not the only one. It is a very funny text. It would make a child wonder what would happen he or she put together their own concoction. The text is exciting and adds to ones imagination.

The imagination can be so out of control that you have to put your ideas on paper, and that's what I think this book can do for children in primary school. I believe the text is for children aged seven to eleven. It would allow them to write up their own ingredients with tremendous and thunderous results. Working in the classroom in maths children could learn to convert, millilitres to litres and grams to kilograms and so on from creating their own concoctions. As well as having a class project for science they could make their own (within reason). By reading a few chapters each week in a term it could be a key project for a classroom for a half or a full term if used well. The possibilities are endless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George's Marvellous Medicine.