Jeff Crosby's Reviews > Prague Fatale

Prague Fatale by Philip Kerr

Jan 21, 13

bookshelves: world-war-2, ebook, suspense, ibooks, 2013, espionage, historical-fiction
Read from July 25, 2012 to January 21, 2013

Finishing this book within a few days of Orders From Berlin, I find it impossible to not compare the two novels. Both are set early in World War II. Both are a combination of murder mystery and espionage tale. Both have meticulous historical detail that adds significantly to the atmsphere.Both are well plotted, but that's where it ends.

Orders From Berlin is a book that flows with interesting characters. Prague Fatale is littered with vicious, hedonistic, vile characters of no value. I realize that is part of the point, but it wears on you.

I read Orders From Berlin in just over a week. I couldn't put it down. It took me six months to finish Prague Fatale. Ironically, I found the story of Prague Fatale more compelling, but it wouldn't hold my interest. It wasn't tell I was near the end that I realized why--profanity. Prague Fatale would flow well as a story, but every once in a while I would bump up against one or two scenes where the profanity became extreme. The cumulative total was not apparent until I was near the end of the book. I must remember to use the searh function more often with eBooks.

I gave Orders From Berlin 5 stars. This book probably deserves 4 based on all of its positive attributes, but the profanity drops it to 2.

I also found Bernie Gunther uninteresting as a protagonist. I am sure some people like these novels because of his amoral character. I didn't, and it will be my last.

Definitely not for Kent or Ashley. Doc might enjoy the historical atmosphere, but I think the profanity would prove problematical for him also.

It's a shame. This could have been a great book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prague Fatale.