Kim's Reviews > The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by José Saramago

Nov 15, 08

Read in November, 2008

I really enjoyed this book. It is an account of Jesus' life told mostly from Jesus' point of view (and also Mary and Joseph at the beginning) This is not a book for people who are really traditional in their beliefs because it brings into question some strongly held tenets of the Catholic Church. That being said, I always enjoy books that focus on the humanity of Jesus rather than his divinity, and that is what this book does. It shows a young man who is confused and sometimes bewildered by his destiny, who feels anger, guilt, loneliness, passion, and every other human emotion. It is just very real. I was especially intrigued by the conversation in the boat toward the end of the book (no spoilers here). That whole scene really made me think about God and Jesus and good and evil. P.S. This is the same guy who wrote Blindness. If you liked the literary style of that book, (long paragraphs, written in present tense, stream-of-consciousness) this one is written in the same way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gospel According to Jesus Christ.