Heather's Reviews > Towards the Promised Land

Towards the Promised Land by H.B. Moore

Nov 14, 08

bookshelves: historical, religious, series

This is my book--and I gave it 5 stars because of a few reasons (I know I'm not the stellar writer . . . yet).

This book wouldn't have existed had I not interviewed Book of Mormon scholars. When I found out that it would have taken Nephi 2-3 years to build the ship in Bountiful, and another 9 months to cross the ocean, I knew this would make up a volume on its own.

I consider this book as the bridge between scholarly research on the Book of Mormon lands and the average reader. Most people don't read works and essays published by FARMS or other publications--articles on smelting tools, the Nephite calendar, duties of the nomadic women, habits of camels, etc. And I didn't either until I started doing my research.

I was able to gain access to the transcripts of the documentary film "Journey of Faith" (FARMS) and added them to my research. My book had gone to press by the time the film was released. So I sat in the audience on the opening night and checked off the research details that I had covered in my book. It was important to me to get it right. Although the Out of Jerusalem series is fiction, I wanted the events that occurred in my books to be as plausible as possible.

So to pick up this book, you'll come away with greater insight of the culture and lives of Lehi and family, combined with some fun entertainment.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Towards the Promised Land.