Keiley's Reviews > I'm Not Scared

I'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti

Feb 27, 13

bookshelves: meh, real-life, slow-paced, unlikable-characters, reviewed
Recommended to Keiley by: Board of Education.
Recommended for: No one.
I own a copy, read count: 3

As this was a school text, I wasn't expecting much. And in return, I didn't get much. This book was just not very good. The descriptions were shoddy, the sentences choppy and the characters unlikable and in most cases, not incredibly intelligent. The idea in itself could have led to a decent novel, had it been handled by someone who could actually write. Niccolo Ammaniti is just not a very good writer. Well at least not by my standards. And whatever hype you've heard about this book, let me tell you, it is entirely wrong.

The idea is this kid, Michele, finds a boy who's been thrown into a hole, obviously kidnapped only to learn that the kidnapper is his father, as well as a small cohort of the other people in the village. The beginning was terrible, the middle was awful and the ending was just dumb. All the adults seemed very stupid and the children merely cruel for no reason.

My main problem was really how choppy the sentences were. Not to mention the abuse of the word 'and'. Nothing flowed very well and really it was like reading a book that was Done. Like. This. Incredibly annoying and interrupting of thought processes. At least that was how I found it. It seems that in the seventies in the Italian countryside, everyone was dumb, angry and half naked for no reason, not to mention rather cruel.

I think even giving this book two stars is a stretch. It was painful to read, incredibly painful. I might update this review with more information very soon but for the moment, please take away one thing from my documented experiences: Don't bother reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Not Scared.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Clova The Guardian newspaper describes it - "A deft masterpiece with never a false note"

Clova But I suppose amazing reviews aren't everything. I liked it - neat and tidy story telling, colourful evocative descriptions, no superfluous asides. I think we all have a problem with the books we are told to read at school. For instance, I hated "Of Mice and Men" which is very well known. Sometimes I think the wrong books are advised to youngsters. Well better luck in the future.

Keiley Clova wrote: "But I suppose amazing reviews aren't everything. I liked it - neat and tidy story telling, colourful evocative descriptions, no superfluous asides. I think we all have a problem with the books we a..."

Well the newspaper cannot always be relied on! I guess it boils down to what you like in a book, and this really wasn't the sort of book I liked. The idea behind it was really interesting but I just didn't like the way it was written? Plus, having to write ten essays on it probably didn't help.

Clova Yes, ha ha that never really helps. Even when you like a book!