Katherine's Reviews > The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap: A Memoir of Friendship, Community, and the Uncommon Pleasure of a Good Book

The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap by Wendy Welch

U_50x66
Jul 25, 12

Read in July, 2012

A good story about two likeable people who achieve their dream of running a bookstore and some entertaining stories of books, people and small town life. I would have given it even more stars, but as bookseller at one of those 'big box stores' (that Wendy doesn't seem to ever shop in but still seems to have plenty of opinions about)I found certain aspects of it rather insulting (as I think of every time I've bonded with a customer over a shared love of certain books or spend the better part of an hour helping a family find just the perfect books for each member: apparently that only happens at *independent bookstores*, guess no one mentioned that to me) and occasionally preachy. I'm all for buying local, buying handmade, etc. But I felt that the author was pretty much saying if you don't do all of those things all the time, you suck. However, the author only spends a few chapters reiterating those points, so overall it was a good read. I will admit that I got my copy as an advanced reader on an e-reader, another thing she doesn't agree with, whoops.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap.