Jill Furedy's Reviews > The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a Forty-Year Friendship

The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow

Jul 25, 12

Read in March, 2009

This was a handsell pick at work, the big selling point being that it's by the coauthor of The Last Lecture. Which I haven't read. I wasn't sure how that credential made him a good fit to write a book following the friendship of ten women from Iowa (an 11th died young). I'm still not sure why it was a good fit, but it wasn't bad either...he wasn't much of a presence in the book for the most part: the population women fill the pages nicely. He alternates between tales of the individual women's lives and the description of their group get togethers and dynamics. We see the women from their elementary school/middle school era through their mid-fifties. They've moved to different states, lived through illnesses, fights, divorces and still manage to support each other and even get together regularly despite the distance between many of them now. You get to know some better than others, and I kind of wondered how they felt about their depictions through his eyes...someone from the outside sees things differently than they likely see themselves. It's nothing groundbreaking, just a bunch of women living life, but it's nice to see them maintaining the friendship for so long. I finished this book and found myself calling friends from back home to say how much I missed them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls from Ames.