Deonna's Reviews > Crux

Crux by Julie Reece

Aug 11, 12

Read from July 26 to August 11, 2012

Julie Reece’s Crux is a fabulous read! This novel was suggested to me by a friend and I must say I’m very appreciative of the recommendation.
The characterizations are excellent and the entire plot follows a very coherent story line which includes danger, suspense and romance. The mystery begins in the very first chapter when Birdie meets a strange character she calls Jeff, and is immediately catapulted into a strange web of events with roots extending back into Norse Mythology. It is an action-packed narrative, grabbing the reader from the very beginning and maintaining that intensity to the very end!
It is so refreshing to have a heroine that was ¬not merely a survivor, a non-descript personality or a reluctant pawn in an unfolding drama. Birdie is a descendant of ancient Vikings and, as such, she is poised to end a centuries old conflict and save the world. She is, however, an unlikely heroine, currently homeless, having walked away from the last of many foster homes.
I have to say that, having been a foster parent myself, I was especially intrigued by the strength of character and resilience of Birdie; even though she had such a difficult upbringing. Instead of left-over bitterness and hopelessness, she shows compassion, curiosity and courage. This story is her journey out of self-doubt and mistrust of others.
Now enter the strong male character that would turn any girl’s head. Grey Mathews gives Birdie a ride to save her from dangerous thugs, and their connection spirals as the plot web unfolds. Although Grey is from a rich family, there are no stereotypes here. Handsome and sexy, he is also the perfect protector, a guardian that constantly shows strength, confidence and extreme loyalty.
The story line is captivating. Julie Reece has woven a story that immediately engages the reader. I especially loved Birdie’s “yeah, whatever” style commentary throughout the book. Bird’s attitude is completely sarcastic yet she steps up and willingly becomes the heroine through all of the events of the story.
I definitely recommend this book to everyone who loves romance and adventure. You can bet that I will be anxiously awaiting more novels from Julie Reece.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crux.

Quotes Deonna Liked

Julie Reece
“I forget my own name when he smiles like that.”
Julie Reece, Crux

Julie Reece
“What am I without him? My heart is burnt out, void, like the cold remnant left after a supernova.”
Julie Reece, Crux

08/06/2012 "I am loving this!!! Review coming this weekend"
08/11/2012
100.0% "Wow! This was an excellen book, filled with extraordianary characters. Review coming tonight."

Marie I enjoyed this one :)

Deonna I have a family wedding this week, so it might be next week before I really get started!!!!!!

Sylvia Love this book glad you did too :)