Matthew's Reviews > The High Lord

M 50x66
Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: epic-fantasy
Read in July, 2012

I really think Ms. Canavan has worked hard to improve her writing throughout these books. It is just a disappointment that this version of these books was allowed to be published. The descriptions and general writing are so good and refined, but the plot remains a major disappointment. She needed an editor or publisher willing to spend more time refining the plot so it did not overwhelm with foreshadowing.

As the novels continued, Ms. Canavan seemed to begin using "false foreshadowing" where the book is written as if she is hinting at and expecting one result and actually another result occurs, but the plot is still full of simplicity and oddness. It feels to me like nearly every male character showed at least some sign of falling in love with the heroine, Sonea. And Sonea had at least some feelings for 3 or 4 of them. How are we supposed to feel sympathetic about her final relationship when she has had so many?

Then there was a character from book 2 who was reintroduced at the end of book 3 with a completely new personality and no real purpose, except to be contrite and apologetic on behalf of all the magicians.

I really like the world, the complexity of the characters, especially Dannyl and Yikmo (who was never fully explored), and the magic system, despite its large reliance on simple will. It is simple enough to be clear, yet complex enough to be interesting. Sometimes the plot is distractingly bad and the final climax was anti-climactic, but the series and the book were still enjoyable and I will read more from the author and hope she is able to improve on her mistakes and produce books with more even pacing and more refined plots.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High Lord.