Dana's Reviews > The Next Best Thing

The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner

Jul 29, 12

Read in July, 2012

I struggled to FORCE myself to finish, "The Next Best Thing," by Jennifer Weiner. I fear Weiner has become a "has been" who is no more! Her early books were an assured good read ("Good in Bed," & "In Her Shoes" to name a few). The last 2 have been a chore, but I can't ignore one of her newly published books because I remember the joy the earlier ones brought me.
From the start, I felt this one was written with the hope it would be made into a movie, as was "In Her Shoes." I hope that is not the case as this story was just BAD, unappealing (as were the characters) and left my brain as dead and bored as an old dried up sponge.
The main character, Ruthie Saunders, was orphaned as a young girl and raised by her grandmother. Ruthie's parents died in an auto accident that left Ruthie permanently scarred, so that her face is unappealing. I found her personality far more distasteful than the descriptions of her face! Ruthie writes, and has longed to write a sit com based on her life with her grandmother. The bulk of the book is about the people involved in producing the tv show (the dumb, self absorbed actors, the studio heads, other writers, etc.) Ruthie makes bad choices in men, but becomes close friends with "the two Daves," one being called BIG Dave and the other, just Dave. Dave is in a wheelchair from an accident in HIS youth. Ruthie is interested in Dave but there is always another woman around him. Who cares? I did not care one iota about anyone in this story, expect perhaps the grandmother, who rescued little Ruthie so long ago.
When it takes me 3 weeks to read a book, you KNOW it's a BAD, bad book!!!! I almost gave up on it, but having had good experiences with the author, decided it MIGHT get better. Wrong.
And the ending? Oh boy. Weiner ends it in a way you say, "what? Is that it? Did she just slam a door in our faces and walk away without finishing?"
Save your time and/or money. Run from this book!
28 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Best Thing.

Marcy It took me 3 weeks too and I usually read a novel in 2-3 days! This one was rough, I agree!

Jenny I borrowed it from the library and had to renew it twice in order to finish it.

message 3: by Dana (new) - rated it 1 star

Dana Ironically, I have received more comments about this book (people all agreeing with me, or liking my review) than on any other book I have reviewed. Basically, everyone was disappointed in the book!

message 4: by Kara (new) - rated it 1 star

Kara I'm struggling to get through it too, & chose it bc of the author who I've enjoyed in the past (Good in Bed). Such a shame, this was obviously churned out to become a movie.

Jenn ugh i was so disappointed too

Alice I am forcing myself to finish because I want it to be better. From what I'm seeing in the reviews, it stays disappointing.

Abbey I am glad it's not just me. I feel like it is taking me forever to get through this. I have considered not finishing several times but for some reason I am still reading it. I have really enjoyed her books in the past. This one is disappointing.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy I could have written this review. I was so disappointed, especially because I enjoyed her earlier books so much! I had to force myself to finish too, and was really glad this was a library book (aka FREE) and not one I purchased.

Lindsey I read this book in 1 day and had to skip over a lot of the parts

Kelly I have been listening to the audio book in the car and I just keep wanting it to end. What the hell? How about a book about her grandmother? That would be a helluva lot more fun.