else fine's Reviews > The World Without Us

The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

Jul 29, 2007

bookshelves: read2007, theskyisfalling, bestof2007
Read in July, 2007

As a fan of post-apocalyptic science fiction, I found The World Without Us tremendously enjoyable. If, like me, you’ve ever wondered what the world would really look like if all of humanity were somehow decimated tomorrow, this careful and detailed book will tell you. It is sometimes hopeful, as when he is describing the wildlife that flourishes in the Korean Demilitarized Zone, or how nature is breaking through the cracks of New York City, and sometimes utterly bleak, as when he explores the environmental legacy of our dependency on plastics, or what will happen as nuclear waste dumps and oil refining plants age and shift.

The book’s message is ultimately, though guardedly, optimistic: the author makes a solid argument for our ability to coexist in peace with nature, if we are willing to make sweeping enough changes. If we are not, the book tells us, we will pass away, and the earth, as always, will abide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Without Us.