Tom 's Reviews > Bush Craft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival

Bush Craft by Mors Kochanski

Jan 28, 09

Read in January, 2009

“Bushcraft” is an amazing read. I keep it by my bedside, usually reading from it for a few minutes before I fall asleep. Mors Kochanski is a life long wilderness educator from Canada. Much of his body knowledge I had no idea existed. For example, just the first two pages of his chapter on “The Birches” had 17 facts that I was unaware of and I have lived around and worked with these trees my whole life ( “ Birches were among the first trees to move North in the wake of the receding glaciers during the last ice age, and probably all the other ice ages since the mid-Cretaceous.”) . Kochanski’s writings, accompanied by hundreds of personal illustrations, detail the most important crafts used in everyday bush living in the Northern Forests. Be sure to get this second edition of what was previously “Northern Bushcraft”, as it has thirty four color photographs that augment details.
I once took a two hour class on knife craft from Kochanski. His disclaimer was that he could only teach us a tiny bit of information on the topic in that time limit, and that his full instructions on the subject would typically require three or four days, instructing 8 hours a day.
I treasure owning this book, with his inscription, “ The more you know, the less you carry”.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bush Craft.