Jack Friedland's Reviews > Gym Candy

Gym Candy by Carl Deuker

M_50x66
Jul 25, 12

Read in July, 2012

The book that I chose for July was called ‘Gym Candy.’ Its about a boy named Mick being is pushed by his father, a former NFL player and college superstar, to be the absolute best football player possible. Mick would practice with his father everyday since he was 4 years old and when he gets to high school, he makes the varsity team. He waits on the bench for his time to play and when it finally comes against the rival Foothill team, Mick gets overpowered by an opposing linebacker on the one yard line and causes his team to lose by just a few points. So in order to get stronger, Mick joins a local gym and is given steroids by his trainer. When Mick’s life-long friend, Drew, finds out that he’s been using steroids, Mick doesn’t want to face the consequences so he attempts to kill himself. After the failed attempt, he is forced to go to rehab.

I like this book because football has been my favorite sport since I was little. I always enjoy a good football story. I also like this book because it has goes into great detail about the games and practices, making it very interesting and also easy to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gym Candy.