Mandie's Reviews > Dead Air

Dead Air by Iain Banks

Nov 20, 08

bookshelves: general-fiction
Recommended to Mandie by: Neighbor whose life is likely to be cut short as a result ;)
Recommended for: Masochists so far
Read in November, 2008

Dead Air. It should be called Hot Air.

Never in my life have I read a book with such a multitude of unlikeable characters. These are pseudo celebs and media whores, ploughing the depths of the tarnished glitterati and have no redeeming quality or anything whatsoever to endear them.

Ken Nott is a "shock jock", and ok, he makes a few good points, but there is nothing new or ground breaking, and the typescripts from a James Whale show meets George Galloway Talk Sport-esque rant-a-thon does not a novel make. He also comes across as self obsessed (or more rather sex obsessed) and amoral. He has the most beautiful of women falling at his feet - why? For goodness sake???? Maybe it’s a novel written for men - at least vapid, shallow, metrosexuals with the personality of a retarded amoeba…but I expected a little more than this.

The setting against the backdrop of 9/11 appears thus far - -nearly 300 pages in appears to be irrelevant an a cheap way to draw in readers, cynically used on the back cover (maybe I should hold off on this until I have finished, but really..) The plot such as it is could easily stand alone without it thus far.

And having now completed this nonsensical book the above remains true. There was a flurry of about 50 pages towards the end where the thought processes related to tenseness and panic are very well written (clearly the guy has potential) and gets it a second star, but the tragic demise of the protagonist who brings about his own downfall due to over indulgence in alcohol and the fact that he can't keep his d*ck in his pants for more than 5 pages is hardly Homer....I kind of left the book with relief wishing the ending could have been a tad different as now there is always the threat he could re-surface.....
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Air.

11/18/2008 page 287
65.83% "Dead Air. It should be called Hot Air. Never in my life have I read a book with such a multitude of unlikeable characters. These are pseudo "
11/20/2008 page 448
100% "Finished!!! Praise be!"