Anna's Reviews > Cogan's Trade

Cogan's Trade by George V. Higgins

Jan 05, 15

bookshelves: four-stars
Read from July 25 to 30, 2012

At first, I didn't think I wanted to like this book: from the get-go, you find that the book consists of dialogue between two characters (three characters at most) in each chapter. Though this book was published first, this set-up had reminded me of Pulp Fiction when John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson would have conversations before a big gun blow out. Between each chapter, the reader is to assume that an event has occurred where characters have found something out. Of course, this is a crime novel so characters would have to hide what they know through their conversations with others.

The plot isn't hard to understand and it is an interesting way of telling a story. In the midst of reading it, I felt that it wasn't really my style, but by the end, I thought it was a clever way of doing things. At some points, it might have been equivalent as reading a script because it's made of conversations and simple actions. But I liked it because it was a book that would be more enjoyable if you liked to read between the lines.

There are books that I like, and there are books I would read for the second time. My rating is tentative because I would definitely read this book in the future to see if my feelings are the same.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cogan's Trade.