Hermine Strand's Reviews > Gathering Darkness

Gathering Darkness by Chris Allinotte

Aug 07, 12

Read in August, 2012

This is one of those delightful but, alas, too-rare books: a short story anthology. The stories are supernatural horror, and their diversity is winning. They range from long stories to super-short ones; the protagonists range from sweethearts to unutterable scumbags; and there are stories about ghosts, monstrosities, mental patients, nearly everything you can imagine--even a story about zombies (which, being only the ten-millionth zombie/vampire/werewolf story ever written, should by definition have been crap, but is actually quite good). The book is very enjoyable even to someone who doesn't usually read supernatural horror, and I gave it four stars only because I normally don't. For avid readers of supernatural horror, especially those tired of the same old thing, this is a five-plus-star book that is very reasonbably priced.

I had an issue with my Kindle Keyboard reading this story: the little square button didn't let me navigate quickly between the starts of stories, even though with other Kindle books that have chapters I can do so easily. That could be related to a bad download, or the conversion process, or the original manuscript's formatting. I also spotted one wrong word choice and one missing comma--but that's all, in quite a long book. Overall, this is a highly professional product that does credit to independent authors.

A short story anthology such as this one, with its potential diversity of content, might be the ticket to lifting the supernatural horror genre out of its doldrums. I'm glad I bought and read this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gathering Darkness.