Kristen's Reviews > Broken

Broken by A.E. Rought

Jan 06, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, ghosts, mystery, paranormal, romance, ya
Read from December 11, 2012 to January 06, 2013

GENRE: YA Fantasy
THEME: Retelling/Romance
RECEIVED: Strange Chemistry
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
Broken is a story that goes well with it’s title, it focuses on two teens who have each lost a little part of them and find that broken piece fixed when they meet each other. I loved how Rought created this story hinting at the Frankenstein story but in the end it was its own original take.

Broken follows a broken hearted Emma Gentry, who has just lost the love of her life in a sad so called “accident. Daniel was her soul mate and she is haunted by the memories of him and the places they enjoyed together. But when she meets the new boy Alex, her heart starts to finally beat again. He seems so familiar and everything about him draws her to him. But Emma knows and feels that something isn’t right and that Alex Franks and his father are hiding something.

Emma, she is just an average girl trying to put the pieces of her life together. She isn’t miss popular, but she has friends who will back her up and support her no matter what. I liked how Rought focused on Emma’s friendships along with her family, even though the story was based on a romance. I enjoyed watching Emma grow as well; she was more timid at the beginning but growing bolder and finally speaking up for herself. Her connection with Alex is something that changes her, I loved watching them try and figure out what was happening between them.

Alex is a mystery, though I found it a bit obvious what really happened with his character and connected everything near the middle. I still enjoyed following him in his journey to discover the truth. The readers get some insight on who Alex was, his relationship with his father is a major part, but the readers can really connect with him as well.

I’ve read a lot of review about Broken, I know a lot of people are not fans of insta-love and neither am I. But the insta-love (which, I think for this story unlike most in necessary) in this plot is there for a major and I mean “MAJOR” reason, I can’t say more since it’s connected to a big part of the story.

This is a gothic romance; it has a beautiful dark tone that captivates the essence of Mary Shelly’s. It starts out a bit slow at the beginning but picks in the middle and doesn’t stop. The characters were wonderful; I really connected to all of them, even the secondary ones like Emma’s best friend who added some humor. All in all this is a much need fresh story in the Young Adult genre, with hauntingly beautiful writing by Rought whom I will now make sure to follow her work.

RECOMMENDATION:
This is a young adult novel that’s a beautiful gothic take on the story of Frankenstein. Fans of Brodi Ashton’s Everneath series and Lauren Kate’s Fallen series will love A.E. Rought’s Broken.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.