Rebecca's Reviews > America, You Sexy Bitch

Jul 25, 12

liked it
bookshelves: chicklit, tv
Read in July, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I kind of didn't understand the point of this book and the funny thing is, I don't think the authors did either. It was conceptualized over a late night Twitter conversation (never a good idea) and then just snowballed from there. Could two writers and media personalities from opposite sides of the aisle live in a RV and travel the US and discuss politics? The answer? Not really. I mean, they didn't kill each other, but did they learn anything? I don't think so. Since they mainly traveled through the middle of the country, I feel like Michael was out of his comfort zone more and had the more change of minds when it comes to things we don't really see on the coasts. For Megan, this was her bag. The only times she felt really out of it was on the coasts, in spending time with Michael's friends and family. And besides her eye opening revelation in Branson, which had nothing to do with politics, I felt like she had the upper hand in everything.

I like both of these personalities a lot and have read some previous books by both of them, but something was just off about this book. I didn't feel like anything was achieved. They didn't travel to many places and while I had been to some of them and could picture it (my favorite part!) this book achieved no purpose and will change no minds about anything in the long run. Just an excuse for a summer road trip to be sponsored by a publisher. Meh. Though a timely book to read on the Fourth of July.

(Sidenote: I do remember hearing that MM was coming out to LA for something and I was very happy about that and this book touched on that reason and her eventual move back to NYC. Yes, LA is an extremely hard city to move to, probably the hardest in the US especially if you don't know anyone and depending where you live. I can see why she hated it and am sad that she left at the same time.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America, You Sexy Bitch.