Christi Snow's Reviews > Material Witness

Material Witness by L.A. Mondello

Aug 05, 12

Read in August, 2012

My Review:

I am a sucker for a good romantic suspense book and this one was definitely a good one. I think one of the things that makes this book so good is the fact that Cassie is an author. In fact, that's how she ends up in this mess. She's dressed as a hooker in a sleazy bar looking for research for her latest crime novel, but she gets much more than she expects.

Jake is a cop. He's in the bar meeting one of his informants who doesn't show. Instead he finds Cassie and quickly realizes that she's not actually a hooker. He's just trying to figure out what she's up to and get her out of the bar safely when the place is sprayed with gunfire. Cassie reacts in a split second when she sees the gun and is actually the one who saves Jake. At issue, she saw the shooter and now the FBI wants her as her material witness in the murder of their undercover agent who was also in the bar.

It quickly becomes apparent that there is more at play here when Cassie's author pseudonym is leaked to the press. She doesn't trust anyone else, but Jake and insists that he helps in the protection of her.

There are a lot of interesting sub-plots happening here within the police department and the FBI. I NEVER figured out who was the bad-guy in it all and was really surprised on who the leak had been. I love suspense lines that keep me guessing. The fact that this was a hero/heroine combo that I loved helped in this book too. Cassie sees herself as a wimp, although she does try to emulate the gutsy, kick-butt attitude of her heroine C.J. Personally, I thought she was awesome...definitely kick-butt, but real enough and scared enough to be real. Jake was awesome. So sweet and sexy. *gah* I loved it when he finally gave in to how much he cared for Cassie....such a *sigh* moment. I loved his character and the fact that he has five older sisters.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was a GREAT read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Material Witness.