Nicole's Reviews > Dreamless

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Sep 05, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, interesting-concept, series-i-love, love-the-romance
Read from July 22 to 25, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I cannot perfectly describe this novel with words to be honest. I just finished reading it about thirty minutes ago, and I really don't know what to think. (I'll get into this later.)

So, let's start off with the basic plot. Dreamless was basically about Helen on her quest to free the Furies. One night while she's on her task, she meets Orion. Orion was assigned to help her with her task by using this super cool artifact he has that I don't even remember the name of right now. (I'm pretty sure it was the bough of Aeneas, but I really don't remember.) So, on this journey, Orion and Helen become really close as they save the day.

Meanwhile, Lucas is dealing with his hormones, angst, and his recent discovery. Lucas is now officially a Shadowmaster. (Dun dun dun.) Now, we all know that Shadowmasters usually become evil. Lucas does become a bit darker during this book. Some of his decisions really bothered me during this book though. Especially since we all know Helen and Lucas aren't really cousins.

And with all of this going on, we have the evil force that's trying to start another war and is using Zach as a slave. Not to mention, Jason and Claire are trying to get together, but Jason also keeps on pushing Claire away as Claire explains to Helen later on. Claire can't really define what's going on between the two. Daphne's also up to something, which we have yet to figure out. As far as I know, she just really wants to kill Tantalus.

Now, for the characters. As I said before, Lucas is really angsty during this book and his character becomes a lot darker. Near the end, he's really just trying to cope with everything that's going on, especially with the things that are happening to himself.

Helen is still the usual Helen, but I can tell she's gotten a bit stronger after the events in Starcrossed. Helen had more confidence, and I really enjoyed her character more.

I liked Orion. He was a nice character. I don't see him and Helen as boyfriend and girlfriend, but more as friends than anything. Despite how much Lucas bothered me during this book, I still want Helen and Lucas to get together. There's more chemistry I think, and as Helen said during Dreamless, things were just right between the two of them.

Claire is still the usual Claire during this book. I didn't like her as much as I did during Starcrossed, but she was still pretty cool. Jason was extremely protective of her though, and it bothered me a lot at first. After I found out why, it was easier to understand him more, but he still managed to annoy me a little bit.

I felt so sorry for Hector throughout this book. I supported Hector the most. I really hope that Josephine Angelini brings in Andromache though, seeing as she's forgotten a lot of the time. I think Hector deserves to be happy, since he was trying to do the right thing when he killed Creon. You could tell how much he missed his family, and it broke my heart.

Matt was so awesome during this book. He kicked some butt! I loved how no matter how much danger it would put him in, Matt would always do something to protect his friends. He risked his life when he went over to find Zach. I loved it! He's so heroic, even though he's weaker than the others. I think that in spirit, Matt is one of the stronger ones though.

The ending. OH MY GOSH. Things are going to get really freaky now, and I'm excited. I can't believe we have to wait another year for Goddess. I know it's going to be worth it though, and I can't wait!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamless.

Quotes Nicole Liked

Josephine Angelini
“Because you, Your Chosen Oneness, can come and go down here as you please.”

Josephine Angelini
“After all, the monsters think you're the delicious one."
"Smart monsters. I am tasy."
"Says who?"
"Don't believe me? See for yourself."
"Yeah? How?"
"Bite me.”

Josephine Angelini
“It's not our talents that make us safe or dangerous, it's our choices.”

Josephine Angelini
“So initiate us," Claire said, crossing her arms and narrowing her eyes in challenge. "Make us priests and priestesses of Apollo."
"Say that again," Jason said, turning to Claire. He was so stunned there was almost no expression on his face.
"That's the plan you've been working on for the past two days? The one you told us not to worry about?" Matt asked in an increasingly high-pitched voice.
"Yup.”

Josephine Angelini
“Why is it so damn cold in this damn house...damn it!”

Josephine Angelini
“How am I supposed to forget you?” Helen asked, laughing weakly at such a silly suggestion. “You’re too big a part of me. I’d have to forget who I am to forget you.”

Josephine Angelini
“I think all those ancient prophecies are so full of poetic nonsense that half the time no one understands what they mean." ~ Helen”