Owen's Reviews > The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century

The Next 100 Years by George Friedman

M_50x66
Jul 25, 12

Read in July, 2012

If this guy gets one more thing right he will vault into the 5 star range. I'm sure he's at home now, holding his breath.

This is the single most well-thought out book about the future I've ever read. It came highly recommended and delivered across the board. It's also the most optimistic futuristic book, particularly from an American perspective. the basic premise that America is only prepping for a second rise is fascinating. He is also entirely in the minority (I blame cable news, personally). He thinks we will solve the enrgy crisis with a form of something imagined by Tesla, he thinks China will dissipate as a world power, Japan and Germany will rise again, then Poland, Turkey and Mexico will become the major players along with the US Germany and Japan. He makes a pretty compelling case, actually. Particularly the Mexico piece- I just don't see how that will not be a problem in a few decades (he says 8 ish, but I think it will come to a head before that). We took the southwest from Mexico, and shortly, there will be more peoplein those states who identify themselves as Mexican than people who identify themselves as American. I found the entire book interesting and easy to read. Worth the read for any serious thinker.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next 100 Years.