Heather's Reviews > So Cold the River

So Cold the River by Michael Koryta

F_50x66
Jul 25, 12

Read in August, 2010

I just finished reading the novel So Cold the River by Michael Koryta. He's published novels previously, but this is the first of his I read. The novel is about a man who is hired to do a video biography of a millionaire named Campbell Bradford and the strange events that unfold as he delves into this guys past. It's a supernatural thriller/mystery. Very good book, one of those so-scary-can't-read-anymore-but-can't-stop-reading-either novels.

As I was first getting into the book I will say I thought it was going to be a rip-off of The Shining, but thankfully that notion was quickly dispelled. The best way to describe it is a sort of cross between Stephen King's The Shining and the movie The Final Cut starring Robin Williams. Although that comparison doesn't really do it justice; the novel stands on it's own.

The really cool thing is the town and hotel that are prominently featured in So Cold the River actually exist. I looked up the place online, West Baden Springs Hotel in Indiana, and it's quite the posh golf resort. The hotel even offers a package to stay and have dinner with the author. I wonder how much business Mr. Koryta has just sent this resort. It has me interested in visiting!

I do recommend this novel to people who like a good mystery with a bit of spookiness thrown in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Cold the River.