Amy's Reviews > A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Jul 29, 2012

bookshelves: novel, young-adult, fantasy
Read from July 25 to 28, 2012

This was a great book. For some reason I think I always meant to read it as a young adult but never got around to it. It has obviously gotten some merit for a reason. First off, I really enjoyed Ms. L'Engle's forward that explained her outlook on life and that we should always question the things around us. She voices this through the character of Ms. Murray when she says to her daughter that just because we don't understand something doesn't mean there is no explanation behind it.

The story follows a girl named Meg Murry who finds herself on an adventure with her younger brother Charles Wallace, a precocious 5-year old way beyond his years, and a new neighborhood friend Calvin. They are guided by witches named Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which who take them through different dimensions in search of Meg's father who has been missing for over a year. He worked for the government and was working on a top secret project dealing with different dimensions and something called tessering. Of course, there is evil among them and the kids must overcome a great power called "IT" in order to get home.

I really enjoyed this book and I look forward to being able to read it to my kids but something I found disconcerting is how good and evil are very black and white. IT is bad and the kids are good. It is the classic white is right and dark is evil. I understand that much of our world and society reinforces this idea but I would really like to see a little more gray because honestly, there are more gray instances of good and evil in life than not and I am sure Ms. L'Engle would be interested in developing this a little more. I will have to read more of her books that correlate with "A Wrinkle in Time".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wrinkle in Time.

message 1: by Clif (new)

Clif the name of the book rings a bell from your grade school days. Maybe you or yo bro mentioned it or I heard it referred to by other parents.