Margaret's Reviews > The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A.N. Roquelaure

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: review-books, bdsm, erotic-fiction
Read from July 25 to September 07, 2012

I originally read this trilogy many years ago when I first learned about BDSM. I read them when they were written under A.N. Roquelaure. I was enthralled with the story, enthralled with the fairy tale that and fell hard for the way they were written. The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty starts out following the story of the fairy tale, a spell has been cast over the Kingdom and only a kiss.. or in this case, sex... from a Prince can break the curse. But after that first experience and the Prince asking for Beauty's hand from her father, the King, the story takes a sharp departure from fairy tale and turns into something dark and sexual. This first story is the story of Beauty's journey home with the Prince. She is stripped bare for his amusement, she learns what it means to belong to the Prince in all ways. She is treated like property because, to the Prince, that's what she is.

Now, I enjoy good BDSM content and I love a well written scene. I also enjoyed this story. I will say that it's NOT the right book to be introduced to BDSM with, not by any stretch! It's hardcore, it's harsh and it's pretty negative toward women. There are some women who want that kind of relationship, but for someone new to kinky sex and BDSM. For someone who has had some exposure to that lifestyle, it'd make a great read for a fun fantasy. That's all it should be, a fantasy, and not a guide for how to live your kinky life.

*Note: I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion from NetGalley*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Now this is my "50 Shades" - LOL. :)