Jane C.'s Reviews > Heartbroken

Heartbroken by Lisa Unger

U 50x66
Jul 25, 2012

Read in July, 2012

** spoiler alert ** A very good story about the convergence of disparate characters at a northern lake camp. Very well written characters, sense of place, suspsense, and stormy atmosphere. While none of the characters was particularly likeable, they were compelling. I love the way Birdie stubbornly asserted herself even as she was alienating everyone around her.

There were some very well written passages that were touching and offered sound advice, such as Sean telling Kate to enjoy what she loves and ignore the rest. And Kate fondly remembering how Chelsea wailed as a toddler, before life made her suppress negative emotions.

The sidelines about the mystery of Richard's disappearance and the ghost were treated rather lightly as opposed to chilling gothic. There can be little doubt that he was Birdie's father, considering how the story ends.

The aftermath was almost gentle compared to the violent mayhem of most of the book. I'm almost surprised to hear myself say that the story had a happy ending, but I'm glad it did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartbroken.