Catherine Richmond's Reviews > Courting Morrow Little

Courting Morrow Little by Laura Frantz

Jul 25, 12

Read in July, 2012

This is one for the Keeper shelf!

In 1765, when Morrow was five years old, Indians killed her mother and infant sister, and abducted her brother. Now after two years in the British-occupied city of Philadelphia, working for her seamstress aunt, she's returning to Kentucky. She finds her father dying of consumption and the community ready for war. Suitors range from brutal Major McKie to timid Robby Clay. But how can she choose when her wayward heart loves another?

It's a cliche to say a novel brings a time to life, but it's true with Laura Frantz's novels! The tensions, privations, and isolation of the frontier are accurately portrayed. Courting Morrow Little shows the culture of 18th century life, especially a young woman's responsibilities and relationship with her father. My heart ached for Morrow and her forbidden love. Where can they live and raise their children in safety? And, knowing the rest of the story, my heart also aches for our country. So many mistakes were made in dealing with the indigenous people of this continent. So much bloodshed, violence, and waste. So many broken promises and lies. I hope my Native American ancestors had as much love as Morrow and Red Shirt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courting Morrow Little.