Maureen's Reviews > I Want My Hat Back

Jul 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: award-winner, picture-book
Read in July, 2012

This book received one of the 2012 Honor Awards from the (Theodor Seuss) Geisel Award. While I, as an adult, found this book hilarious, my son enjoyed it but missed the subtle humor. While the words are simple enough for a beginning reader, I think that the humor is something that adults might need to explain to some children.

From the ALA website:
I Want My Hat Back, written and illustrated by Jon Klassen, published by Candlewick Press

After losing his hat, Bear politely and patiently questions his fellow forest dwellers as to the whereabouts of his “red pointy hat.” Although no one admits to seeing the hat, deer helps Bear realize, “I HAVE SEEN MY HAT.”

Klassen has created a droll tale told in deadpan dialogue. The digital and Chinese ink illustrations are spare yet endearing. The text is black, brown, green and red, reflecting who is speaking thus helping the beginning reader follow the narrative. Early readers are allowed to interpret rabbit’s fate. This repetitive tale explores honesty and loss, a wry and witty offering that is truly unique.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Want My Hat Back.