Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Dark Craving

Dark Craving by Donna Grant

Posted on Under the Covers

Donna Grant takes on dragon shifters in the first book of a brand new ebook exclusive series called the DARK KINGS.

With ancient magic, Hal is able to transform into a large green winged dragon. As a Dark King, he and his comrades are part of an immortal race that have the power to shift at will. However, this power must be honed. It is only after several centuries that a Dark King is able to control every single aspect of his powers.

American Cassandra Hunter travels to Scotland to see her brother, Dan. However, she is having the day from hell because once she arrives in Scotland, her luggage has disappeared and her brother has become indisposed. Now, Cassie must drive herself to Dan’s cottage and pick up his Great Dane, Duke along the way. Exhausted, Cassie lets herself drift away.

She wakes up to find herself in her brother’s cottage, safe and warm and she wonders how she got there. The answer pops up when she stumbles upon a hot Scot chopping up wood. And what a sight it is!

The chemistry is instantaneous between Cassie and Hal. Grant did a great job of establishing the romance early in this book. This was key because the book turned out to be much shorter than I had anticipated. Nevertheless, Grant is still able to develop the romance at a believable pace.

Something interesting happens when a naked man holding a sword (not that kind of sword :p) falls from the sky. Naturally, I approve of this because who doesn’t like a dragon-tattooed naked man falling freely from the sky? I sure do. This naked man doesn’t remember who he is. His presence became the perfect way to bring the backstory of the Dark Kings.

As the naked man (now named Tristan) learns about what he is, readers are also learning about the dragon shifter ways with him. I was sucked into this world and after devouring this book in a single sitting, I wanted more.

Grant crafts an amazingly well-written and interesting world with the dragons. I can’t wait to see what’s to come next!

*Review Copy provided by publisher

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Craving.

Laura the Highland Hussy I preordered this one :) only $.99

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) DUDE, I AM SO EXCITED!

Veronica~Nhaughty I pre-ordered too!!! I've never read anything by this author, but this cover got my attention! Guess you girls recommend?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I like her stuff. Her books have nice worldbuilding.

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah This isn't up on the UK Amazon store for pre-order yet :o( I'm hoping it will be eventually though. I've not read anything by this author before but I LOVE this cover!

Just to let you know you can read it for free for a limited period of time on Heroes & Heartbreakers (http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com...) the first 2 parts are already up and the 3rd will be available tomorrow. You have to register to be able to read it but it's free & they have ebook novellas available to read free fairly regularly for limited times before they officially release

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks for sharing, Sarah! I wonder how interconnected this series will be with her others because she tends to have all her series connected somehow.

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah It says on Donna's website that it is a spin off from her Dark Warriors & Dark Sword series but I'm hoping it can be read as a stand alone. I might wait until you've read it & then you can tell me if it makes a good introduction to the author or not LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Usually for her books, you need to read the others but I'll be reading this whole series when it comes out so I will let you know, Sarah!!!

message 9: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I was hoping that because it is a new series I'd be able to start here but I'll wait & see what you think. I've had my eye on her other books for ages so if it comes to it I'll just have to buy those first LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) With her Dark Warriors series, there's A LOT of connection with her Dark Swords series BUT when I read the first book of the Dark Warriors, I felt that she did a good job of bringing new readers up to date. But since the characters from the Dark Swords are in it A LOT, their presence in the books may not resonate with you as much than if you read them, you know what I mean?

You could probably still read it and be fine, but may not see the others as important. I dont know how this series, the Dark Kings will be like just yet. But I'll look for you and let you know!

message 11: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah If the characters all cross over I tend to prefer to read each series in the correct order. I'll see what you think about this one but I'm guessing it is better to start the Dark Swords series before the Dark Warriors one?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yes I'd say so. It's really up to you

message 13: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I don't own any of the books yet so I'll make sure I buy the Dark Swords ones first :o)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) haha there goes more of your money! LOL

message 15: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah LMAO you're killing me Annie! A girl's gotta eat you know hehehe

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMAO! You could always devour the pages instead :P

message 17: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah LOL it's not quite the same as a nice bar of chocolate though is it!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL No, not quite as nice :P