Kelly's Reviews > The Last Guardian

The Last Guardian by Eoin Colfer

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: junior-books, books-for-boys
Read from July 20 to 21, 2012

I began reading the Artemis Fowl series kind of by accident when I was in high school. I'd been helping out in a grade four class and this was the book the students were reading as a class. Since I dropped in and out of the class, I couldn't follow the story. This was difficult when the kids asked for help with their reading reviews. I borrowed the book from my own high school library and absolutely loved it.

Seven years later, I jumped on the public library's waiting list as soon as this final installment became available to borrow. I received it in a couple of days and finished it in one. It was what you would expect from an Artemis Fowl novel: fun, funny, fast-paced, bizarre, and intelligent.

As a character, Artemis reaches the epitome of growth in this novel, (view spoiler). He definitely is not the same Artemis we were introduced to in book one, but his progression to this new Artemis throughout the series is gradual and believable.

Colfer's writing style is, as usual, sarcastic and humourous -- something I personally love. The novel is clearly written for a younger demographic, but there are small tidbits that I know are directed towards older teens and adults, because kids simply wouldn't get the reference. Despite the pre-teen vibes, I still find that I am engaged in the novel and committed to the characters. There was never a moment during reading that I felt the story was dragging on or had lost my interest. (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Artemis Fowl is the kind of series that makes you feel sad that it's over. It's the kind of series you'd want to read again and share with your kids. It's not as dark and complex as Harry Potter, but has more depth than a lot of other children's series (see: My Little Pony). Definitely one of my favourites. Kudos to Eoin Colfer.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Guardian.