Nancy's Reviews > True Believers

True Believers by Kurt Andersen

1202308
Jul 25, 12

Read in July, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed True Believers by Kurt Andersen. Karen Hollander is the narrator of the story and alternates what she is telling between the present (2013) and the past (1960s). She is writing her memoir, mainly dealing with her youth in Wilmette, IL and the 1960s (Martin Luther King, Malcom X, SDS, drugs, college and anti-Vietnam protests). Andersen has done a great job with the characters. To me they were believeable and likeable. It was very entertaining to reminisce about life in the 60s - shortened news programs, lack of immediate and constant news coverage, and all the references to past events, such as the speeches by and assassination of Martin Luther King, references to political candidates, plays and musicians. I loved the comparisons between the 60s and the present. My only criticism is that it was a little long-winded. At times I just wanted Karen to get on with her story or to leave a few parts out. This book would make a great book club discussion, especially for groups whose members grew up in the 60s. It left me thinking about the politics of the 60s and the present, why people protest, what kind of people protest, what happened to the protesters of the 60s, etc. I highly recommend this book. I received an advance reader's edition from the publisher.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Believers.