Sheila's Reviews > Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling

Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling by Michael Boccacino

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from August 16 to 27, 2012

This was a strange one. Don't read this book if you:

* Like historical accuracy. This book was set in "the past" (no clue when it was supposed to be), but everyone talked and acted modern.
* Want to read a gothic. There are elements here, certainly, but I would call this a dark fantasy instead.
* Like clear, sensical plots. This was jumbled.
* Like consistent characters with clear motivations (the protagonist in this book makes some bizarre, irrational decisions).
* Don't like horror. I wouldn't call this a scary novel, but there are definitely some gross parts!
* Like realistic emotions. Despite being confronted with horrible monsters and dead people, the protagonist is never more than mildly annoyed--never gibbering in terror. It's strange.

Despite all these things, I did like the book, and gave it a generous 3 stars. It is really strange, and reminds me a bit of Tanith Lee (though not as dreamy) or Neil Gaiman (though not as polished or emotionally deep). I enjoyed the monsters (gods?) in the alternate world (yay tentacles!), as well as the descriptions of the changing house.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling.

08/26/2012 page 74
show 1 hidden update…

Audra (Unabridged Chick) V nice review -- I really struggled with this novel because I couldn't tell what it was and as a result, didn't know how to take it. I loved his writing -- very evocative -- but hated the characters and how they behaved.