Carolyn (Book Chick City)'s Reviews > The Daemon Whisperer

The Daemon Whisperer by Candice Bundy

Reviewed by Kearstie for www.bookchickcity.com - 4.5 Stars

Meriwether Storm, daemon summoner extraordinaire, is one of the most satisfying, well-rendered, beautifully driven characters I have had the pleasure to read about in a very long time. And that praise is putting her in some very good company, my friends.

Meri’s parents were brutally murdered when she was young, leaving behind a legacy of power and vengeance that has been driving their daughter since the day she found them, puddles of little more than blood. She has taken up their mantle as a Daemon Summoner, living outside the control of the Corporations, which took over when the government fell. Meri is very good at her job, and is nearly covered with the marks of the daemons she’s summoned and overpowered. But she lives every day with one simple truth: all summoners eventually meet their match. There’s a good reason that there’s no such thing as an old summoner.

Before Meri meets her inevitable fate, she is determined to find and take justice on her parents’ killer. When she receives an offer that seems a little too dangerous, even for her, she’s ready to turn it down, until she finds that the reward is worth the risk: they are offering the name and summoning details of her parents’ killer. And so Meriwether Storm is swept up into a job that will leave her more changed than she could have ever imagined.

Bundy has built a world so intriguing, and characters so likable, that they suck you in, rock your world, and leave you panting for more when it’s over. Oh, and her sex scenes are like that, too.

Azimuth, the leading man in our story, is closed off and distant at the beginning, but as you learn more about him, you can’t help but understand why Meri falls for him. I thoroughly enjoy that Bundy allowed Meri to start with attraction, and then move on to lust, before jumping into love with Az. It made the relationship read as more organic and believable than many similar pairings in the genre. And the fact that Az was the only one who never gave up on Meri really kept me invested in him during the times that their relationship wasn’t at the forefront of the plot. I really loved their dynamic, and was rooting for them throughout the story.

Despite my love for Azimuth, I was extremely happy that Bundy chose to make their growing relationship just a part of the story, instead of at the center. No, Meri got to keep her mojo in this book, and I think that’s what kept me so enamored. She doesn’t forget who she is, or what her goals are. Her need for vengeance doesn’t disappear because Azimuth is sex on a stick (oh, and he so is). Her life flipping around doesn’t keep her down long, and she has no desire to listen to anyone trying to keep her on the sidelines.

It’s Meri’s strength of will and sense of self that truly drive the story, and are really what make her such a formidable foe for the daemons. Even when the fighting is in her own brain, you know that Meri stands a fighting chance. Have I mentioned how much I love her?

I also really enjoyed the secondary characters in this book. They each had their own special traits and quirks, and were well fleshed out. Bundy’s character building is really just superb.

Now, you may be asking yourself why this glowing review didn’t land The Daemon Whisperer a well-deserved 5-star rating. It almost did. But I couldn’t overlook a few things that really irked my nerves, and therefore had to downgrade to 4.5 stars.

First, there were a lot of editorial mistakes in the copy I was given of this book. It speaks very highly of the beautiful story writing that I was able to ignore the spelling and grammar mistakes, because there were many. But hey, it happens to the best of us, right? Second, there was a name change about 2/3 of the way through, and I did not like it. At all. It threw off the consistency, and I did not think that the name fit the character as well as the original name, which I loved. I’m trying to be vague here, to not give anything away, but you’ll know what I’m talking about when you read it. Which you hopefully will, because the book is awesome, regardless of my nitpicks.

And my final complaint is that I get the feeling that the next book in the Liminals series WILL NOT BE ABOUT MERI. Growl. Have I not waxed poetic enough about how much I love Meri and company? These characters wormed their way into my heart, and there is room for so much more story there! I will be exceedingly sad if book two doesn’t at least catch us up on what my favorite characters are up to.

VERDICT

The Daemon Whisperer, despite its flaws, was a solidly enjoyable story filled with kickass characters and a vibrant backdrop of politics, daemons, sex, and intrigue. Sometimes all at the same time. In short, I loved it. A lot. Go buy it. I’ll wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daemon Whisperer.

08/05 marked as: received-for-review-ebook
10/23 marked as: reviewed-by-kearstie
02/04 marked as: reviewed-by-guest

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erin (Paperback Stash) Looks excellent, would add to my wishlist if Goodreads would let me. The buttons not responding