Emily's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Jul 25, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: nook

** spoiler alert ** I suggest you skip this one.

Oskar Schell's father died in the World Trade Center bombing. He lives with his mother and grandmother in New York and gives himself bruises when he is sad. His grandmother's family were all killed in the Dresden bombings and his grandfather left her when he found out she was pregnant with Oscar's father.

So, I think we can safely say this is NOT a feel good novel. I have an emotional hangover from finishing it at midnight last night.

Is it worth the emotional roller coaster? I don't think so. The author isn't great at writing from the perspective of a child and frankly all of his characters are unbelievable. Despite this, you just can't help but get involved in the plot and the ending will leave you very very sad.

So, I say skip it. If you have to read something this horrifically sad, it should at least be well written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I have been wanting to read this! You'll have to tell me how you like it :-)

Emily Matt read it and enjoyed it. My sister-in-law hated it. I'm about a third of the way through... it's pretty painful.