Vaughn Roycroft's Reviews > Haole Wood

Haole Wood by Dee DeTarsio

Aug 26, 12

Read from July 25 to August 18, 2012

After finishing my second Dee DeTarsio novel, I find myself wondering just what genre this one fits into. I'm a guy, so I don't read chick lit (not that there's anything wrong with that), and I rarely read murder mysteries, romances, or travelogues. But whether it's chick lit, romance, mystery or travelogue, there's one thing I'm more certain than ever about: Dee DeTarsio is freakin' hilarious!

I found myself laughing aloud often as I breezed through this pleasure-fest. I've been to Maui and to Kaanapali, and her descriptions took me right back. Reading this book is like a mini-vacation, and DeTarsio's heroine, Jaswinder, is the perfect travel companion--if you like to laugh, that is.

As usual, DeTarsio throws in an ample array of the unusual, including an herbalist (yeah, the medicinal kind *wink, wink*) grandmother who doesn't speak English and an overweight, seemingly inept guardian angel. On the last page I found myself quoting Jaswinder's grandmother: "Not that!" (You'll laugh at that reference after you read it.)

If you are looking for beach or poolside or screen porch reading, please do not hesitate to download this book. This instant--go on, do it right now. Believe me, you won't regret it.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haole Wood.