James's Reviews > Winning Balance: What I've Learned So Far about Love, Faith, and Living Your Dreams

Winning Balance by Shawn Johnson

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: memoir, read-in-2012
Read from July 24 to 26, 2012

Gets an extra star because I'm a fellow Iowan and Shawn really is one of the best ambassadors of Iowa we could ask for.

For everyone else, it's probably a 3-star book. Shawn opens up and lets us know what it was like behind the cameras during the Olympics and during "Dancing With the Stars". (Short answer: not as glamorous as the rest of the world was probably led to believe.)

She includes some of her poetry, which again gives us some perspective into her emotions and thoughts during various moments in her life, but it's also very typical of what you would expect a teenagers to write. We won't be speaking of Shawn Johnson, poet laureate any time soon.

She doesn't really get into any negatives too deeply, and I feel that it's something that's lacking in her story. She talks about the stalker that had plans to kidnap her, but it all sort of happens, then gets dropped by the side until the court date, and she mentions that she had a hard time with it, and then it drops again. She talks about how she had to have a bodyguard in LA, but there's no mention of whether a bodyguard continues to be necessary. It's something that really should shake up any young woman, but we don't really get much from her about this or any other dark moments in her life. She focuses primarily on the good stuff, and while that fits in with the title of the book, it makes this hard to call a true memoir or autobiography.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winning Balance.