Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling

Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling by Michael Boccacino

Jul 25, 2012

Read from July 25 to 26, 2012

The Good Stuff

The prose is so hauntingly beautiful
Story so elequently puts into words the feelings I have had over the loss of my parents -- the part about dreaming of the dead brought tears to my eyes
Dark and gothic story full of old english manors, governess, death and the paranormal -- dark and spooky, perfect for a cold December night
The author is truly gifted at setting the mood and landscape. When you put down the story you feel disjointed about being back in reality.
Unique world inhabited with truly unusual and creepy inhabitants ( the descriptions of certain scenes actually made me go ewww out loud)
Some wonderful insights into death, life and sacrifice
The description of the library was fantastical and highly original
The Not So Good Stuff
Extremely confusing at times. Found myself wondering what the hell (no pun intended) was going on on many occasions
Drags a wee midway through the story
Favorite Quotes/Passages

"Every night I dreamt of the dead. In dreams those who have been lost can be found, gliding on fragments of memory through the dark veil of sleep to ensare themselves within the remains of the day, to pretend for a moment like a lifetime that they might be alive and well, waiting by the bedside whe the dreams is done. They never were, but I could not stop myself from wishing for the possibility that everything I remembered was a mistake, a nightmare taken too literally by the imagination. But morning always came, and with it the startling realization that the dead continued to be so, and that I remained alone."

"We were not so very close together, but the interlacing of our hands channeled a friction through the empty space between us that dimmed the rest of the room, changing the music into something that could only be for us. I did not want it to end, and for a long while it seemed that it never would. We danced and danced until I could no longer feel my legs, just his touch against my own and the deep, primal thumping in my chest."

"The boys had lost their mother. Of course they were dreaming of her. I knew that they were dreaming of her. I had lost my mother nearly 15 years before and still dream of her. It was not something that truly went away. The three of us would perhaps always be bound by our grief, never truly finished with the long nightmare of loss."

Who Should/Shouldn't Read

For fans of gothic literature most definitely
Honestly, I felt throughtout reading it that I was in a Tim Burton movie - so if you are a fan of his movies, this will be right up your alley (I can totally see Johnny Depp as Mr. Whatley)
Wonderful book for a cold winters night - or if you are staying in a Victorian Mansion
4.25/5 Dewey's

I received this from William Morrow in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling.

07/26/2012 page 230