♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Spark

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Oct 12, 12

Read from October 08 to 10, 2012

By now you’ve probably seen lot of reviews out there for Spark, raving about the SERIOUSLY HOT BOYS. Well that’s certainly no exaggeration, there are four, and they ARE hot. But the draw for these stories is much more than that. The Elemental series is seriously cool with all of the Merrick brothers able to harness and control a different element: fire, water, air, earth. These boys are each a hero in their own right, yes, even cocky Gabriel, just waiting for the opportunity to get out.

Spark centers on Gabriel, the hot-head twin of the Merrick brothers. Nick, the other half is the “good twin”: a whiz at school, kind to others and never gets into trouble. Gabriel is basically the exact opposite. He’s got a quick temper, always pushing limits, and he’s about to fail math, which is where Layne comes in.

In math class, Layne sits right in front of Gabriel, and has always noticed him. She wonders what it would be like for Gabriel to notice a girl like her, and she’s about to find out. Layne dresses conservative in turtle necks, jeans, braided hair, and glasses. Definitely not the type Gabriel usually notices.

The action and abilities of the Merrick boys is really fun to read about, but my favorite part of this story was the romance. No surprise for anyone who knows me! I loved the slow build between Layne and Gabriel. It was nice to see that Gabriel fell for Layne just the way she was, not because of some complete makeover that is a common device in romance novels. Instead, what captured his attention was her unexpected kindness. When he actually started looking at her, though, he realized even without the trendy, showy clothes, and perfectly applied makeup and styled hair, she was a beauty through and through. Oh this romance is SO sweet and there are so many swoony moments and scenes *sigh*. Here’s one to tempt you:

”Do you want me to let you go?----She closed her eyes and nodded. A hesitation, and then, “I think you’re lying.” She was. But in what freakish world would a guy like Gabriel Merrick be standing with her in the dark, sharing kisses and secrets? He closed the space between them again, until the line of his body just brushed her. She couldn’t breathe. “Do you want me to let you go?” he said again. She swallowed. “No.”

Oh my!

Gabriel is still a little rough around the edges, that boy needs to get a handle on his temper! I wanted to shake him a few times because of it! But it stems mostly from feeling misunderstood and hurt by others, so I couldn’t help but give him a pass. He’s always felt like the worthless screw-up next to his brother, Nick. Layne recognizes Gabriel’s triggers and is good for him, just as he’s good for her. Layne has her own issues because of troubles at home. Plus, who doesn’t fall for a guy who sticks up for the bullied? Simon, Layne’s little brother is hearing impaired and Gabriel is so wonderful with him! Be still my heart!

So take it from me. Pick this up sooner, rather than later! You’re bound to have a good time.

Thank you to Kensington and Netgalley for allowing me to read this.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

10/08/2012
11.0% "Since the first day of school, she'd wondered what it would be like to have a guy like Gabriel Merrick talk to her. She'd noticed him right off--honestly, what girl wouldn't --and when Kara told her he had a twin, she'd wondered how fate could create two guys to look like that."
10/10/2012
32.0% "Gabriel moved a bit closer. "I'm sorry Layne. Really." His voice was low and rough, and this close she could make out each individual eyelash, the line of his cheeckbone, the bare start of shadow across his jaw. She felt ready to slide down he lockers and melt into a puddle at his feet."

Stacia (the 2010 club) Love this one.

♥Rachel♥ Sam wrote: "I don't know why I keep thinking you've read this already. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying it! :D"

I've had it for a while from Netgalley. They're going to time me out on the naughty rug for waiting so long to read and review it! Lol! I am loving it though. I'm 20% in and Gabriel is really winning me over. He seem like such a tortured soul.

♥Rachel♥ Stacia (Ace of Skates) wrote: "Love this one."

I remember you giving it 5 stars Stacia, I liked that you picked the other covers for this series. This one and the one for Storm and Elemental are so cheesy. I think I remember you having a comment section just about the covers, right?

Stacia (the 2010 club) Yeah, I'm not a fan of the U.S. covers. The one for Hunter's book looks horrible. But I love this series because the books are a lot of fun.

Suzanne Great review Rachel. I totally agree, there's so much more to these books than just hot guys. I love the quote you picked, it's making me want to read this again :)

Ashly Fricken awesome book! can't wait for the next one

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi Rachel! I keep meaning to start this series! HELLO—hot boys! Haha..I’m there! Wonderful review! That quote—wow! :)

♥Rachel♥ Suzanne (Paranormal Book Fan) wrote: "Great review Rachel. I totally agree, there's so much more to these books than just hot guys. I love the quote you picked, it's making me want to read this again :)"

Thank you Suzanne. I really love these Merrick boys! I haven't checked who the next one is centering on. I'll have to check that out.

♥Rachel♥ Ashly wrote: "Fricken awesome book! can't wait for the next one"

I know, wasn't it such fun? I loved Layne and Gabriel's romance in this one a little better than Chris and Becca in the last. They really tugged at my heart. Love Layne! :)

♥Rachel♥ Laura wrote: "Hi Rachel! I keep meaning to start this series! HELLO—hot boys! Haha..I’m there! Wonderful review! That quote—wow! :)"

I think you'd love this series, Laura. They're fun, fast reads. Plus, yeah, HOT boys! How can you go wrong! Oh, and there is plenty more where that quote came from. *sigh* ;)

Eunice Yay! Lovely review, Rachel. So glad to see you enjoyed this too. I definitely fell more deeply in love with the Merrick brothers after reading this sequel. Haha. :)

Suzanne ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Suzanne (Paranormal Book Fan) wrote: "Great review Rachel. I totally agree, there's so much more to these books than just hot guys. I love the quote you picked, it's making me want to read this aga..."

I think the next one might be Hunter, Rachel. I read the first few pages and it sounded really good.

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Sam. I know, everyone of our friends seemed to love this, and who can blame them? I hope books three goes up on Netgalley! Thank would be awesome. I don't want to way until May! :)

Mariam Ugh, I WANNA READ THIS!!!!

♥Rachel♥ Mariam wrote: "Ugh, I WANNA READ THIS!!!!"

You should, Mariam. It's a lot of fun. :)

Mariam Yeah, I read Storm and I'm ecstatic. This is my new favorite series!!!!!!!!! Other than The Infernal Devices of course! Only 47 days left for Clockwork Princess!!!!!!

♥Rachel♥ Mariam wrote: "Yeah, I read Storm and I'm ecstatic. This is my new favorite series!!!!!!!!! Other than The Infernal Devices of course! Only 47 days left for Clockwork Princess!!!!!!"

I'm nervously anticipating that story! She better end up with Will! Sorry if you're a Jem fan. :)

Mariam ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Mariam wrote: "Yeah, I read Storm and I'm ecstatic. This is my new favorite series!!!!!!!!! Other than The Infernal Devices of course! Only 47 days left for Clockwork Princess!!!!!!"

I'm nervously..."

No, I'm a Will fan too. But I still love Jem and don't hold any contempt toward him

Mariam oh, join my group Herondale, Carstairs, and Gray. I post new snippets there all the time. There is a new on today. The finalized synoposis. Stuff like that