Yetunde's Reviews > A Mercy

A Mercy by Toni Morrison

1451903
Dec 09, 08

Read in December, 2008

This was definitely not one of my favorites. I am usually a die-hard Morrison fan, but this one just wasn't up to par with her earlier works. Many people have compared this to Beloved, but I find that comparison unjust. This book, while it had its moments of brilliance, was inundated with dense, incomprehensible prose. At times, I was unable to decipher who was speaking and when. It just wasn't a good read for me.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mercy.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Tensy Totally agree with you..." This book, while it had its moments of brilliance, was inundated with dense, incomprehensible prose". I was waiting to read a review that would mention this. I get the feeling that Morrison just loves to play with words at the expense of her characters and the plot.

Yetunde Exactly! I like Morrison, and have to admit that some of the most brilliant phrases come from her earlier work. But sometimes, writers get trapped inside their own genius, and forget that their accessibility is what drew us to them in the first place.

Rona Thanks for this review. i agree wholeheartedly. I've found it challenging to criticize anything Morrison writes because people often gasp and say 'What? But it's Toni Morrison?" But she is human and not everything she is going to turn out is going to be equally brilliant.