Julie Davis's Reviews > Second Corinthians

Second Corinthians by Thomas D. Stegman

Sep 05, 12

Read from July 25 to September 05, 2012

Definitely struggled with this book. What Healy and Montague did in a way that left me wanting more, Stegman does in a way that drags me into the depths of sloggery. I'd have thought scholarship is scholarship, yet this shows 'tis not so. Perhaps it is because he began with the assumption that it's gonna take all your brain and your head and your mind to unpack this dense book.

I repeatedly had to remind myself that this letter was written to the church in Corinth in the 1st century. It may have been dense, but the average church goer was supposed to understand it too. Stegman's scholarly approach was too much for me ... I finished but it was through sheer determination. I was also greatly helped by William Barclay's commentary although the book I read was an older one than the Goodreads' listing.

Overall a fine book actually but not one that opens itself up the way others in the series have for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Corinthians.

07/25/2012 page 115
08/17/2012 page 160
51.0% "Struggling. Definitely struggling. What Healy and Montague did in a way that left me wanting more, Stedman does in a way that drags me into the depths of sloggery. I'd have thought scholarship is scholarship, yet this shows 'tis not so." 2 comments
08/21/2012 page 200
63.0% "Reducing the sloggery by skimming more ... which is not really what one wants to do with Scripture study. But there you go ..."
09/04/2012 page 250
79.0% "No, I'm not going backwards. The previous updates were estimates. I'm still slogging along, although Paul's letter remains important and resonates with my thoughts on Catholic blogging and living our faith in life generally ... while trying to not be jerks. (An important theme in my life as I slip into that mode so easily.)"
show 3 hidden updates…