Jules's Reviews > Assassin's Apprentice

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Aug 13, 12

Read from July 26 to August 13, 2012

So far I`m not too entranced in the story yet. The whole silent but super powered protagonist doesn't`t appeal much - it seems to be one of those books where all the characters are interesting except for the main one. The 1st person commenting narrator is a bit uncomfortable. And, perhaps above all, the foremost child assassin`s apprentice to me is Arya.

So, not a lot of positives yet, but the writing is agreeable, so I'll give it plenty of room for improvement.

***

After finishing the book, I pretty much concur with my first judgement. Fitz is a passive, whiny boring person who's getting the way of Burrich, Verity, Patience, the fool, Chade, Galen and all the other interesting people in the book. His entire existence doesn't really get interesting until Chuyrda, and that's also when reason starts taking some fast leaps.

Still, it wasn't a bad read, and the last 20% of the book passed rather quickly as the pace sped up. But I'm not about to pick up the sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Apprentice.