Eileen's Reviews > Sweet Peril

7208929
Apr 23, 13

bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult
Read in April, 2013

Check out more of my reviews at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***!

After the big kaboosh that was Sweet Evil, you expect Sweet Peril to be even a bigger kaboosh, or at least not fall prey to Second Book Syndrome. Luckily, Sweet Peril did all of those things.

Anna Whitt, our protagonist, resident nice, innocent girl, is surprisingly not what I expected her to be. Yes, I read the first book and I got a fair glimpse of who she was as a person, but her innocence act eventually started to make me want to gag and spit. I mean, who's really that nice, full of empathy , and innocent? Also while being the daughter of the Duke of drugs and alcohol? I can understand her wanting too remain with all morals intact, but the way she acted over the littlest things...it just didn't work. Anna constantly went on about how she needed to be good and how she couldn't be any different from her usual pure self. Oh my God, please give me a break. These days, the odds of a teen being that perfect is unheard of. Especially when she's in love with a guy like Kaidan.

Aside from that, everything else was phenomenal. Kaidan, especially. Can I just gush and gush and gush over how fantastic he is as a character? He's your typical bad boy, and he is such a grapefruit. No, you didn't hear me wrong. He is a grapefruit. I have an explanation though! Because I had just eaten a red grapefruit and finished Sweet Peril moments before, my mind was a little cloudy. As I was thinking of how I could describe Kaidan to a friend, grapefruit just popped into my mind so I used it. Because that particularly grapefruit was red, like the color of Lust, which is Kaidan's sin. In addition, grapefruits are sweet yet kind of sour, which is exactly Kaidan's personality, if you translate those qualities into human traits.

Sweet Peril is the perfect read for those who are fans of romantic tension. With a character like Kaidan, who's hot and sexy and can drive a girl mad, you can't really expect any less can you? The scenes between Anna and Kaidan are both hot yet totally adorable. Although you don't see Kaidan until at least halfway through, Wendy Higgins has a way of successfully transitioning you to that part without losing too much of your interest. Then when he actually shows up, you better get some fans ready for a swoon overload. The way that Wendy delivers on the Kai/Anna scenes is reminiscent of a guilty pleasure. It's enough to take in moderation, but you still crave it whenever you can't eat that food. Which is exactly what you could call Kai. A guilty pleasure.

Oozing with romantic tension, a hot YA book boy, and everything that made Sweet Evil fantastic, Sweet Peril doesn't disappoint in the slightest. Fans everywhere will enjoy Wendy Higgins' latest novel.
30 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Peril.

message 1: by Nikki (last edited Jul 26, 2012 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nikki hi *waves* Yes, I'm very polite. Plus, you REALLY need to hurry up if you're turning in your questions in...4 days!

Eileen I know! I might just ask some vague questions and then read the book later LOL. ;) I'm too lazy to do any real reading and thinking at the same time -.-

Nikki XD I do that SO MANY TIMES. Half my questions are random like "Favorite book of 2012?" XD And I doubt anyone can. >.>

Eileen LOL I know right? And besides, I am SO backed up on reviews. I have to write 3. And then I want to organize this event for blog awards that are like Grammys sort of :). I'll call them....Bloggys ;)

Nikki Eileen wrote: "LOL I know right? And besides, I am SO backed up on reviews. I have to write 3. And then I want to organize this event for blog awards that are like Grammys sort of :). I'll call them....Bloggys ;)"

UGH. I have to write 4 and read 2 books and write reviews of those! I'm going to die!

And OMG THAT'S SO COOL! :O

Eileen Haha I know! It's so stressful sometimes! And yeah it's still at the drawing board and I have no idea what the "winners" of each award will get, or what the award categories will be, but I just want to spread some blogger love and let people know we care :). Want to help me brainstorm? ;)

Nikki Eileen wrote: "Haha I know! It's so stressful sometimes! And yeah it's still at the drawing board and I have no idea what the "winners" of each award will get, or what the award categories will be, but I just wan..."

Sure! ^_^ (Even though I should totallly be writing reviews...)

Cutest?
Most known?
Most depressing design?
Mmost cheerful design?
Longest review

I have no idea about the rest lol

Eileen Haha I also thought of:

Best Reviews
Nicest Bllogger
Most Helpful
Funniest

Stuff like that. I want more though but I don't want them to be bad. We could even do stuff like "Best Breakout Blog" and then nominate reviews by themselves for stuff like "Funniest/Best/Most Informative Review" :)

Nikki Eileen wrote: "Haha I also thought of:

Best Reviews
Nicest Bllogger
Most Helpful
Funniest

True! Best reviews would be good, but what if others get offended. O.o Hopefully not lol. and most depressing isn't bad. :P LOL. I was thinking of mine for that one. XD

Eileen LOL I don't think others would be offended! I mean you're nominating some blogs for the best review of a certain book, right? But the thing is there are so many blogs it's likely that smaller blogs won't get recognition. Hopefully blogs will take it as a chance to tell people to nominate them :)

Nikki Eileen wrote: "LOL I don't think others would be offended! I mean you're nominating some blogs for the best review of a certain book, right? But the thing is there are so many blogs it's likely that smaller blogs..."

True, hopefully! ^_^ What about Most Twitter Addicted?

Eileen Haha yeah! Like Most Social Networking! Now to figure out WHAT I'm going to give the people who win! -.- I seriously need to start planning

Nikki Eileen wrote: "Haha yeah! Like Most Social Networking! Now to figure out WHAT I'm going to give the people who win! -.- I seriously need to start planning"

Oh that's going to be hard. O.o I mean, you could always ask authors...ask fro signed swag/books or something

Eileen True. But that would be if the whole thing was big enough. And I don't know if it will be -.-

Nikki Eileen wrote: "True. But that would be if the whole thing was big enough. And I don't know if it will be -.-"

Hmmm...Problems, problems, problems. Should we enlist the help of twitter?

Eileen Yes! I'm going to ask what everybody thinks :)

message 17: by Nikki (last edited Jul 26, 2012 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nikki Eileen wrote: "Yes! I'm going to ask what everybody thinks :)"

GREAT! should we make a hashtag? Mayhap...#TheBloggyAwards ?

Eileen Yay! :) I definitely want a bunch of people to get involved :)

Nikki Eileen wrote: "Yay! :) I definitely want a bunch of people to get involved :)"

So hashtag it is?!

Eileen Yes definitely! :)

Nikki Eileen wrote: "Yes definitely! :)"
TWWEEETTTEDDDD

Eileen Thanks! :) for now, the categories are:
Well known
Cutest
Best design
Best reviews
Most helpful
Best breakout blog
Best/funniest review for (a specific books)
Best meme
Nicest blogger
Most creative blogger
Works well with authors
Hottest blog (best content)

Anything else? :)

Nikki Eileen wrote: "Thanks! :) for now, the categories are:
Well known
Cutest
Best design
Best reviews
Most helpful
Best breakout blog
Best/funniest review for (a specific books)
Best meme
Nicest blogger
Most creative..."

Hmmm...most techy blogger?

Eileen Great! I also added most loyal readers, smart interviewer, and blogger tech wiz :)

Nikki Eileen wrote: "Great! I also added most loyal readers, smart interviewer, and blogger tech wiz :)"

Smart interviewer?

Eileen Yeah like a good interviewer. I got tired of saying "best" all the time so I started using other words LOL

Nikki XD Gotchya!

Most Promo blogger?

Eileen What do you mean by promo blogger?

Nikki I'm not sure...the blogger who promotes the most books? *shrugs*

Nikki It sounded cool. :P

Eileen LOL maybe most influential or something?

Nikki Lol That works too! :D

Eileen Haha now onto the actual ""awards" I want to give them maybe like a virtual trophy or something that has their award on it, and then I would love to mail them some swag or whatever but I don't know yet

Nikki That's a good idea...I think I know someone who'd LOVE to make those badges...

Eileen Haha me too. *Looks at Lisseth* ;) I hope she can still do them after the how suing fiasco

Eileen *whole

Nikki Omg, RIGHT!? >.< ACK!

Eileen Yeah I know unless you use your own graphics that you create -.- I'm okay at doing that but the thing is I just got Photoshop so I'm still really new to it -.-

Eileen Oh and I was thinking that for the a bloggy Awards that we get people to email a special account I set up, or tweet a special Twitter we set up, and then we take anybody who has over a specific amount of nominations and ask them the same five questions that are for their section, post it, and then people can vote again using either a form or emailing and tweeting in again :). What do you think of that?

Nikki I am confused. But lol I'm sleepy. I'll reread when I'm more awake! But sounds pretty good, from what I understand for now lol

Eileen LOL I'm just trying to figure out how people will vote for their choice of blogs :)

Nikki Ask YA Sisterhood! :D

Eileen Haha I should! But I may have people tweet/email in their votes. Does that sound good? Should I like set up a special email and Twitter account for this?

Nikki I think email is better. :P plus if people nominated for each one there wouldnt be enough characters and reading each tweet is going to be annoying lol.

Eileen Haha yen I think nominations and votes will be done from email but I'll still set up a Twitter account. More professional LOL ;)

Nikki Ha true! :D

Eileen Okay so Gmail or Yahoo or whatever for the email account? o.O

Nikki GMMMAAAAAIIIILLLL

Eileen OKAAYYYYYY The email will be called: bloggyawards@gmail.com (if it's available) :)

Kaede Your review is quite lovely, but I don't see any mention of grapefruits and now I'm sad.

« previous 1