Cheri Swalwell's Reviews > Almost Amish

Almost Amish by Kathryn Cushman

Jul 25, 2012

Read in July, 2012

I read a terrific book over the weekend, Almost Amish, by Kathryn Cushman. This book was delightfully unique in that it has appeal both for people who like contemporary women’s fiction as well as traditional Amish fiction. The main story involves two modern families; however, they are placed in an “almost Amish” setting through the filming of a reality TV show. I could totally see myself living in the situation they found themselves in and loving it. Kathryn paints such vivid pictures that I could smell the shoo fly pie, feel the stifling heat, and see the wringer washer as well as feel my muscles being pushed and pulled in directions they weren’t accustomed.

I related most to Julie, as I have many of the same traits that she struggled with throughout the entire book. She had such an amazing husband, very much like my own, and it was fun for me to see how God crafted my real love story similarly to a fiction love story. The author presented two very different possible endings for Julie’s story throughout the novel and I absolutely loved the conclusion that was finally achieved. It was handcrafted specifically for this character.

I was captivated with this novel from beginning to end. There were surprises throughout that I definitely didn’t see coming. Those were just icing on the cake, in my opinion. Others might recognize these quicker than I did, but it was a pleasant surprise for me that the antagonist, wasn’t the only aspect that kept this book extremely entertaining.

I fell in love with all the characters, feeling as though I was living the experience along with Julie, Susan and their children. The primary and secondary characters were described so clearly that I truly felt transplanted into that small town in Tennessee right alongside them.

Kathryn has a natural ability of weaving elements of Biblical truths throughout the entire book. It was done in a very subtle, gentle way - almost like painting a picture of the way God intended for us to live our lives. There were two main truths that I took away from this book and both enriched my life and caused me to think deeper about myself, my relationship with/to God as well as my relationship with others in my family and community. The first was that I need to somehow take time to balance my priorities and activities so that my family receives the best of me, not the leftovers. There are so many things in society that scream for attention, but my ultimate, primary responsibility here on Earth is to take care of my family first, second only to my relationship with God. The second but just as important truth that I took away from Almost Amish was that I have different gifts than other people. No one gift is better than the rest and all gifts are needed for God’s work to be effectively carried out. When I stop comparing myself to others and their gifts and instead focus on using my gifts for God in the best way possible, then I will have true peace. The happiness I feel will be genuine, not laced with guilt over trying to fulfill someone else’s purpose other than my own.

I would recommend to anyone who enjoys great women’s fiction to go out and pick up a copy of Almost Amish. It is a great choice, in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost Amish.